To maximize our mutual experience as friends and neighbors we encourage you to take advantage of our tips guide and be respectful of each other. Every person who lives, works or passes through SUNA is part of the fiber that creates this community.
Tips for keeping safe during the holidays:
Don’t Leave Anything in your Car
- Don’t assume your trunk is crime proof – it only takes a second to break your car window and pop open your trunk!
- At home, don’t put presents in plain sight. Tuck them away.
- Have all packages delivered to work or somewhere that they will not be left out in the open. Make arrangements with your neighbor to pick up packages.
Leaving for the Holidays?
- Don’t advertise it! Have your mail and newspapers held until you return.
- Set some lights and your tv to timers to make it look like someone is home.
- Contact Seniors on Patrol with the Eugene Police Department to check on your home while you are out.
- Make sure you are prepared for travel. Check your oil, gas, headlights, taillights, fluids and have your chains with you.
Beware of Scams and Fake Charities
- Only donate to charities you know. If you are unsure, ask for a brochure. You can check out charities through watchdog groups like Better Business Bureau’s Wise Giving Alliance or the American Institute of Philanthropy. If you feel pressured to donate – it’s probably a scam.