In 1912, E.D. Southmayd received a permit to build a residence on this site. It was the second house built on Potter Street in the area. Southmayd sold the house in 1923 to Earl L. Packard, a professor of geology at the UO. In 1932, the property was purchased by John and Alice Seavey, who lived in the house until 1965. The low slung form of the house and full width porch are typical of the highly popular Bungalow style.